Central Methodist, WVWC Cheerleaders; A Vintage Buckhannon Exclusive Presented by Mountaineer News

October 11, 2022

Mountaineer News

Vintage Buckhannon


This week, it's another DOUBLE-SHOT exclusive straight out of the Vintage Buckhannon Vault:


Photo 1:

Methodist Protestant Church -aka- Central Methodist Church - 1940

Located at the intersection of S Florida and E Lincoln Streets, this photo of Buckhannon's Methodist Protestant Church -aka- Central Methodist Church was taken in 1940 and used for postcard purposes by the Tecraft Company.


In November, 1894, the Methodist Protestant Church organized in Buckhannon and this building was dedicated in October, 1898. In 1924, a basement and classrooms were added and the church was rededicated.


In 1939, with the union of the three Methodist denominations it became the Central Methodist Church; A church record from 1955 shows 353 members.


If you look closely, you'll notice that the cupola and spire no longer exist above the bell tower; We're still in the process of researching this church's history and investigating the removal of its cupola; The structure still stands but has stood vacant for many years.


*Last week we featured the First United Methodist Church on S Florida Street before their bell tower was destroyed by lightning. TAP HERE to see it (and the old Anchor Flour Mill on Water Street - present-day Island Avenue).


Photo 2:

West Virginia Wesleyan College Cheerleaders - 1937

This rare photograph depicts the 1937 WVWC Cheerleading Squad posing on the stairway entry to the old Gymnasium. The following names were included with the photo:


"John Law, Martha Jean Martin, Eugene Bailey, Lucille Munson, John Hall"



CLICK HERE or on the image above for the Vintage Buckhannon: A West Virginia Wesleyan College Exclusive featured on July 12, 2022.


A first-hand account of the Seminary Building fire is included with rare and exclusive photos - including an authentic Wesleyan University of West Virginia (W.V.W.U.) invitation to the June 5th, 1906 Alumni Day when the board of trustees permanently changed the institution's name to West Virginia Wesleyan College (W.V.W.C.) - and an eye-witness account of the fire.