Two of Buckhannon's Oldest Buildings; A Vintage Buckhannon Exclusive Presented by Mountaineer News

September 27, 2022

Mountaineer News

Vintage Buckhannon


This week, it's another TRIPLE-SHOT exclusive straight out of the Vintage Buckhannon Vault:


Photo 1:

View of Buckhannon's Presbyterian Church in 1903 - Built in 1849

Located directly across from the Upshur County Courthouse at 13 S Locust Street, the (now First) Presbyterian Church has been the business of Religious Organizations since 1849.


Rev. George Washington Pollock was Pastor when this photograph was taken in 1902; He served from 1898-1916.


It's important to note that Upshur County, West Virginia was founded in 1851, nearly two years after this structure was completed.


Photo 2:

Agnes Howard Hall c. 1915 from Meade Street - Built in 1895

Built in 1895, this building was known as 'The Ladies Hall' until it was renamed the Agnes Howard Hall in 1920 for Agnes Howard, a student who died of rheumatoid arthritis.


An addition was completed in 1929 and extensive renovations occurred in 1952. The building is on the National Historic Register.


Photo 3:

Dorm Room Inside Agnes Howard Hall from 1917

Speaking of Agnes Howard Hall, here's a 1917 view from inside one of the dorm rooms.



CLICK HERE or on the image above for the Vintage Buckhannon: A West Virginia Wesleyan College Exclusive featured on July 12, 2022.


A first-hand account of the Seminary Building fire is included with rare and exclusive photos - including an authentic Wesleyan University of West Virginia (W.V.W.U.) invitation to the June 5th, 1906 Alumni Day when the board of trustees permanently changed the institution's name to West Virginia Wesleyan College (W.V.W.C.) - and an eye-witness account of the fire.